PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 Spudmonkey - Chair

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 13:07
Not sure if I will complete this or not, but thought I would post some work here anyway as it might help others...

First concept:

This is based around an adjustable office chair but with built in command modules and screens, giving instant access to core functions whilst allowing the operator to adjust the seat, back and arms as much as possible. The seat defaults to a near standing position but can go almost flat for those slower travelling moments or be moved into a more traditional seating position. The screen is lower than head height to allow the operator to see over the top to view other screens, crew members and so on. Seat belts seem like a good idea, but may be replaced with rollercoaster style shoulder restraints instead for ease of access and egress

The concept is ok, but is possibly a bit too contemporary and not futuristic enough, so it could stand some refinement

Freak
15th Jun 2007, 13:26
It an intresting idea.

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 13:36
It's a start. I think some of the aesthetics won't be properly fleshed out until modeling time, but it's a good base to work from. I could always do a lot of different chairs and pick one at the end

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 14:59
One thing that I noticed is that the screens are relatively far away from where the persons head would be and for the distance screen-eye they are also quite small which would make them hard to read if there's more information on them then just a few words in large font.

I like the flowing lines of the chair, espcially the base is really cool. Not sure about those three cylinders for the back though.

The idea of a rollercoaster-restrainer instead of seatbelts sounds cool but depends heavily on your design. I think it's pretty hard to design it so it fits with the chair and doesn't make it look too bulky as right now it seems to be a rather svelte :)

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 15:03
cool concept . . I like the idea that the user is almost in a standing position.
Almost like he can move about, but the wieght is taken off of his feet a bit . .
nice
gp

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 15:36
The chair is a little bit too far back for the knee rest, so the screen would be closer. Also the front shot of the screen looks pretty poor, so I think that will change to a larger set of three screens which are opaque. I'm fleshing out the model in 3D at the moment, and the cylinders work, but they are spread out too far, so there needs to be more than just the three. I'll post something shortly to show you

Freak
15th Jun 2007, 15:46
Look forward to seeing it!

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 16:10
This is pretty rough, but it should give you an idea of whether it works or not... It's a little dull, but it's not meant to be the final article yet

Edit: Quick reshape on some parts to make it flow a little better

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 16:20
You get a "definitely works" from me :thumb:

Just a thought - the controll panels look a bit big and "heavy" to me and throw the whole thing off-balance.

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 16:24
Just a thought - the controll panels look a bit big and "heavy" to me and throw the whole thing off-balance.

Yep, agreed. I'm still playing with the size and shape of the components. The arms will have more joints and will need some sort of bracket around the padding for example, and the relative sizes will need to change. I already reversed the base as it looks very off balance with it round the other way. Looked ok in the sketch, but once you have it in 3D it soon becomes clear where the problems are!

Freak
15th Jun 2007, 16:29
Nice I can see myslef sitting in that chair!

gonk droid
15th Jun 2007, 16:33
like the concept. good shape to it so far.

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 17:30
More resizing and positioning, plus a very quick texture test. The texture is actually based around treebark and sponge to make it look like a leathery felt. I might go for more of a leather effect, though soft is nice. To create leather I would probably use a manipulated scan of my hand rather than a scan of real leather as it tends to look better that way when rendered... Odd but true!

Freak
15th Jun 2007, 17:35
coming alone nicely!

the textuer has more of a cloth look than leather, but I be intrested to see what it look like when you use your hand.

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 17:36
Agree that it's more cloth than leather but it looks quite soft and nice to sit on. Like the bump map of the creases (or is that modelled?)

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 17:51
The bumps are modeled in some places and bump mapped in others, like the end of the tubes. This was deliberately a softer material, so it's good that it appears to look right to you both :D

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 19:47
Started on the screen and updated some parts of the chair (plus I ate some food ;))

The screen is still in it's too-far-forward position as I need to model the leg rest before repositioning everything

Edit: uploaded the two texture maps for the felt/leather effect so that you can see how simple it is. Looks quite nice when rendered though :)

Zabiegly
15th Jun 2007, 20:00
Cool screen. Is it holographic/seethrough?

spudmonkey
15th Jun 2007, 20:04
It's definitely see-through, so yep, it could be considered holographic, though I was thinking about doing something more obviously holographic too...

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 00:55
Last update for tonight I think... The screen is about right and I've started on the footrest. The underside of the chair still needs work, but it's rapidly heading towards the detailing phase. The text looks a little funky due to the jpgs compression...

TheGreatRaja
16th Jun 2007, 01:06
sweet work so far

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 12:13
I think the thing that will sell this design could be the mechanism, and how it works. It's not very obvious how it happens?! otherwise it's a really rather elegant design, and I love your texture work!

I'm not sure it needs to specifically look more 'futuristic' Sometimes 'futuristic' is bare, minimal and functional, and the beauty of it's functionality and form combined. Like the Tizio lamp, or an Eames chair, which wouldn't look out of place on a scifi set. It's much like your screen is simply a piece of glass (or other transparent computer screen rendering material!), it's not spangly, and doesn't have greebles, but it would be wonderful to use! Less is more I think! :)

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 12:57
Dude . . you've almost done everything in your sketch so far . . that's awesome, You definately had a serious concept down. that's preety good, I'm still figuring crap out . . .
gp

BEMEUP
16th Jun 2007, 13:03
Nice work on the design concept. Love the textures... came out very real looking.

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 13:43
Thanks again for the comments!

I guess this thread shows is that if you get the concept sorted early on then the modeling is a lot, lot easier. It also shows that the concept doesn't need to be absolutely complete or 100% accurate, but it certainly helps a lot.

Simplicity and form are definitely going to be winners for a seat. I might do something more complex for the next one once I've got the detailing sorted out for this one. I should be posting a final model today if I can stay focused

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 13:50
I guess this thread shows is that if you get the concept sorted early on then the modeling is a lot, lot easier. It also shows that the concept doesn't need to be absolutely complete or 100% accurate, but it certainly helps a lot.

This actually is the idea behind this challenge :thumb:

baxart
16th Jun 2007, 14:14
The seat of the chair looks a little too angled to me. I'd be afraid of sliding out of it. Thank heavens for the foot rest.

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 14:15
This actually is the idea behind this challenge :thumb:

Just reiterating the point for the rest ;) I'm supposed to be helping others too after all! :D

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 14:45
Yep you are - this one huge helping-each-other-out thing :D

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 15:22
The seat of the chair looks a little too angled to me. I'd be afraid of sliding out of it. Thank heavens for the foot rest.

The current renders show it in the "near-standing" position. The final render will show other possible seating positions, including laid back

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 15:39
Focus, focus!

The hardest part of this challenge is the human aspect.. While we can't say with any given certainty how comfortable any of them actually are.. ergonomics information for normal people is out there and known quantities! There is such a thing as a typeform, there is a reason 99% of all forks look 99% similar to all other forks.. it needs to be that shape to function, otherwise we'd not use them! :D oF course chairs aren't all clones of each other, as different types serve slightly different functions, but they all have to do more or less the same thing! Of course there's also the control element of this challenge! that's a lot more creativity, as that's where the scifi part comes in:D

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 16:30
Right, I think I'm done with this one for now. OK, so I'm bored of it and want to do something more exciting instead ;)

NightShadow
16th Jun 2007, 16:36
Frack, I like the look of that!

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 16:53
Very nice! though isn't there a regular upright sitting position to it?

Ramiel
16th Jun 2007, 16:55
I like it, but, "ergonomically" speaking, I think your legs will hurt a lot in only few minutes!:D
It seems to have not enough support for... Well, your butt!:shiner:

Anyway it is a nice looking chair, and looks also very original:thumb:

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 17:02
Very nice! though isn't there a regular upright sitting position to it?

The back and seat can be moved into a normal seating position, but it simply didn't really fit into the final render sheet and I preferred the progression from standing to reclined instead

Dimitriy
16th Jun 2007, 17:11
Spud...have you ever considered furniture design as a full time employment :)?

your chairs/tables would sell like nuts :)

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 18:09
Spud...have you ever considered furniture design as a full time employment :)?

your chairs/tables would sell like nuts :)

Freak
18th Jun 2007, 11:05
The chair has come out rather nicely!

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 14:07
Looks cool man, well done:thumb:

Hehe... what is a 'comfort ball':D:cool::p

spudmonkey
18th Jun 2007, 15:05
It's a ball that's comfortable ;)

Freak
18th Jun 2007, 15:17
Lol

jay-mo
18th Jun 2007, 17:03
Wow, your really flying throuh this. The design is great. I love the large display screens being attached directly to the chair.

Daemoria
19th Jun 2007, 14:36
Damn, that was fast. :P

Great job on the final product.

spudmonkey
19th Jun 2007, 15:01
Wow, your really flying throuh this. The design is great. I love the large display screens being attached directly to the chair.

That's the benefit of a solid sketch. The modeling is a breeze after that and it's just down to making a nice set of complementary textures. Easy really ;)

Damn, that was fast. :P

Great job on the final product.

Thanks. I think I will do another render with a better metal texture as the one in the render isn't quite how I wanted it to be. I'll probably fit that in whilst working on the sequel which is in another thread here (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/27864-challenge-6-spudmonkey-chair-ii-chairmaggedon-musical-2.html)

JeffrySG
19th Jun 2007, 21:16
Right, I think I'm done with this one for now. OK, so I'm bored of it and want to do something more exciting instead ;)

very very cool looking!!! I really like your final presentation of the chair, and like how you have a few different views on the (small) 800x600 format...

maybe next time we can get that up to 1600x1200 or something....

kick a** job!!!

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:17
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)