PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 Larsen Funny Chair

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 20:17
Here's my concept... rough, but you get the idea:D

Dimitriy
15th Jun 2007, 20:29
Dont want to offend you comrade...but I have absolutely no clue as to what you have on this sketch :)

Melak
15th Jun 2007, 20:31
LoL, I like the bulb on top!
Is this thing made for going to war itself? Or supporting your City with electricity? :p

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 21:02
Dont want to offend you comrade...but I have absolutely no clue as to what you have on this sketch :)

No worries mate:D... They said scetches right, so that's mine, as long as I know what it is I guess it's ok... Better stay tuned tho... you might find this interesting..LOL

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 21:47
Maybe the title should be funny chair instead of command chair:D... If a mod comes along and feels generous enough, please change it... if not, well you get pleasently suprised:D

Ozylot
15th Jun 2007, 22:38
That looks more like a throne... any kinda story for this so far?

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 22:52
Sure... you can chose which chair you wanna go to... :lol::p:cool:

Ozylot
15th Jun 2007, 22:56
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/ozylot/Smilies/doh.gif

gpdesigner
15th Jun 2007, 23:34
I like the big red button . . . :lol:
"when all else fails . . . . push this!"
gp

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 23:51
Excactly:D

Larsen
15th Jun 2007, 23:58
Last one for to night...

spudmonkey
16th Jun 2007, 00:25
I though the focus was supposed to be the seat? Your surround, whilst cool, feels like too much distraction from what you are supposed to be modeling rather than being a part of the seat

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 06:38
well that maybe be... but my intetion was that this IS the seat... maybe something else but the stool? ´Just in case noone noticed, this is meant to be REDICULOUS ya know funny... hmmm obviously not enough!

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 11:52
Fear the stool of doom! :D Kind of reminds me a little of the 'portable oppression palace' from Futurama, or the necromongers palace ship in the Chronicles of Riddic. it is the seat one sits in to oversee your vast forces, and oppress one's enemies! :D

In a way I like the idea of one 'controlling' but not neccessarily with 'buttons' you could be simply be using your levatating oppression stool to controll and oppress your minions and subjects :D But yeah the stool, I think it a little too..... :D

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 12:12
hmmm well... at least comment on the speed then in which I modeled it!?!.. no?...

Oh well... I'll stick with the concept anyway:D

Thanx tobi!

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 12:21
LOL it has to be said that a lot of people have been pulling these out of their arses at an alarming rate, which is probably why I won't enter. In 2 weeks I will be still sitting with a box, spinning it in modeller :D

gpdesigner
16th Jun 2007, 12:50
Larsen, dude, I am dying to see the Battle Chair . . .
what's through that door . . . pmpn
gp

BEMEUP
16th Jun 2007, 13:01
After you're done, I expect you'll be submitting your stool sample :rolleyes: :D

Cool work so far, I like the sporty base you can spin around on :thumb:

Zabiegly
16th Jun 2007, 13:53
Maybe the title should be funny chair instead of command chair:D... If a mod comes along and feels generous enough, please change it

That has been done for you.

Certainly a very innovative concept! Keep it up. But I have to agree that the focus here lies on the chair itself. While you can have a surrounding it will only play a minor role in the voting for the winner.

baxart
16th Jun 2007, 14:11
Very Good! Very "Hitchhiker's Guide". I'm guessing that whatever door you pick changes what the button does, and maybe it's color, and/or the lighting.
And I have to ask...
If you're already up there in "chair" mode, do you have to run down and go through the other door for "battlechair" mode?

"Commander the enemy is attacking!"
"Hang on!" (runs down stairs, slams into door) "Damn!" (door opens... slowly, scampers to other door) "Come on, come on" (door opens... slowly, runs up stairs panting) "Okay."

tobian
16th Jun 2007, 14:19
Clearly the 'battle chair' door leads to a giant grinding machine.. that'll teach them for trying to get at you! :D

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 21:53
That has been done for you.

Certainly a very innovative concept! Keep it up. But I have to agree that the focus here lies on the chair itself. While you can have a surrounding it will only play a minor role in the voting for the winner.

Thank you... The thought here is that this IS the chair... would it help to 'connect' the stool with some wires... I found funny as h*** that all this machinery would be controled from a wooden stool!

Had I taken a normal chair and build this on TOP of it... would that have been any different!?

I'll sertainly take your advice into considderation, that IS the point of these challanges after all... to learn! And since more people have said that the focus is unclear, I'll rework it, somehow!

Very Good! Very "Hitchhiker's Guide". I'm guessing that whatever door you pick changes what the button does, and maybe it's color, and/or the lighting.
And I have to ask...
If you're already up there in "chair" mode, do you have to run down and go through the other door for "battlechair" mode?

"Commander the enemy is attacking!"
"Hang on!" (runs down stairs, slams into door) "Damn!" (door opens... slowly, scampers to other door) "Come on, come on" (door opens... slowly, runs up stairs panting) "Okay."

Dude you nailed it totally... ofcourse you have to run down and out to get to the other chair:D... the best part is that it'll be totally the same chair and button function:lol:

gpdesigner, BEMEUP: Thanx for the support guys:thumb:

Tobian: cool idea man... tho I had imagined this to lead to the same chair... we'll never now tho, cuz either this dies here or I simply won't model what is not seen... images that lets your imagination run wild ARE the better ones, don't you think:D

Thanx again guys... So should I try and come up with a new concept... maybe like: chair with enormous macinery on top!? Or stick with this one and try to incorporate the stool to make it look like it's one piece!?

JeffrySG
16th Jun 2007, 23:02
Clearly the 'battle chair' door leads to a giant grinding machine.. that'll teach them for trying to get at you! :D

or it could simply be a 'suicide booth' like from Futurama.... lol

Larson: this is just too funny....

baxart
17th Jun 2007, 14:05
Incorporate! Stay true to your vision!

gpdesigner
17th Jun 2007, 14:46
Funny is good . . . I originaly wanted to build this elaborate, technically, Greeblie, knarly command room . . . and then have a toilet seat for the command chair . . . 'cause that's where I do all my thinking. :lol:
gp

Larsen
17th Jun 2007, 15:05
^oh, don't we all... don't we all!!!

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 00:55
Tried to incorporate the stool as much as possible... without actually changing the stool!

What you think!

Ozylot
18th Jun 2007, 00:59
Haha... thats great... I see you included the sign to help us out a bit ;)

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 01:01
You know it's not really possible to represent since it's a stills project, but I kind of imagine a special iris door in the floor, where you stand next to it expectantly as a giant beam of light, spills through the slowly opening iris... and out of it rises..... the stool :D As emphasis for how crap it is :D

It almost needs some acoutriments, maybe a gradoise back, something you could imagine Ming the Merciless having on his chair, and a multi-stepped plynth you have to step up to get to it :D

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 05:32
Why thank you!!... Strong word, but ok!

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 09:50
LOL, I meant specifically the stool there, not your design :D I just meant how it was a ridiculously over the top mechanism... for a stool: Everything you can do to highlight that would help the joke :D

baxart
18th Jun 2007, 12:25
Sweet!

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 14:04
LOL, I meant specifically the stool there, not your design :D I just meant how it was a ridiculously over the top mechanism... for a stool: Everything you can do to highlight that would help the joke :D

Hehe i know... no worries mate!

Thanx guys!

jay-mo
18th Jun 2007, 16:55
This is craziness Larsen, but it looks pretty damn cool.

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 19:11
^YEAH...bad crazyness:D

Thanx jay:thumb:

Little texture test... I'll replace one of those with a 'womans gasp' or 'eat something bad' sticker later:D

Enjoy!

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 20:14
Haha that looks great so far! What other details are you going to add or ar eyou concentrating on texturing now?

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 20:21
Little of both... gotta go with the ideas when you get them... I wanna add some more details, but if this thing is properly textured it'll look ok... I'm thinking something like a mini stage setup with mikes and spotlights... for that homemade loonytick style!:D CAREEOKE...muhaahahah

strangeman
18th Jun 2007, 20:35
That's great :) nice work Larsen :thumb:

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 21:08
Thanx strangeman!

Some more texturing done... somehow the bumps on the hoses fade here and there... might be due to the skylight I'm using! Since the image restriction is so small, I'll probably just paint the bumps directly on the texture anyway... saves on rendertime too:D

Enjoy!

tobian
18th Jun 2007, 22:50
Looks excellent, though you could do with adding some valves and nuts where the tubes join things, for that extra touch of realism :D

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 22:57
Yep...plan to:thumb:

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 23:46
Tiny update... got distracted, what should have taken me 10 min stretched to over an hour... man I hate real life when it does that:D

Enjoy!

xanthra
19th Jun 2007, 03:27
That is cool. I especially like the cannisters in the back with the red glowey window slots! You have inspired me to do something similar for the tanks in my chair : )

Larsen
19th Jun 2007, 23:02
Thank you!

Fiddled some more with the textures... it's just a tilable map, but at this res I think it does the job rather nicely...

Enjoy!

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:40
It does! That's a neat texture, but you may want to break the surfaces up a bit so it doesn't all look too samey, and you have a couple of reflection seams visible :D You're gonna be done this in no time! :)

Tinukedaya
20th Jun 2007, 11:59
This really luck lovely! Great idea behind this really.

Ozylot
20th Jun 2007, 12:21
Looks like the texture on those pipes coming out the side is stretched. Other then that this has come along masterfully! Good Job! :thumb:

backstept
20th Jun 2007, 13:15
that thing is crazy! haha I love it :D

JeffrySG
20th Jun 2007, 15:51
this is so off the wall it's great! textures are looking cool, but I'll agree with tobian, and you might want to vary the rust/grunge texture a bit to help break it up a bit...

Larsen
21st Jun 2007, 18:34
Plastictupes on the moodcanisters:D

That material made the rendertime jump to a staggering 19 hours:o I have no clue why tho!

Ozylot
21st Jun 2007, 19:05
clear materials usually do in my experience.

It looks really great!

Zabiegly
21st Jun 2007, 19:20
That material made the rendertime jump to a staggering 19½ hours:o

My guess would be loads of reflection that are reflecting reflections of reflections :D Limit your reflection raydepth to 2 or 3 and it should be much faster.

Or is it transparent? Can't really tell from your image. It looks very nice but refraction refracting refractioned refractions is just as bad as reflections reflecting reflected reflections of reflected reflection in a reflection :flippy:

Just limit your raydepth anyway and it should speed up a lot.

Maybe it would make the idea of the simple stool controlling that insane machinery a lot stronger if you made the stool even more simple. Get rid of the block that is behind it and the cables comming out from underneath. Just have a simple stool with three legs and the red button to press.

The text on the blue screen is a bit hard to read too.

Benji7869
21st Jun 2007, 19:24
I would have to say watching this "Chair" progress is like reading a Douglas Adams novel. It seems like something that he would come up with for his stories.

Larsen
21st Jun 2007, 20:13
Thanx guys...

Zab: Yeah I know that! I set it to render last night and went to bed... I usually do:D... and got up this morning and went to work... obviously:D So I actually didn't know it was this long on rendering it:D... You are right ofcourse this IS an effect of refs on refs and so forth! + indirect illumination... which in my experience forces brazil to its knees:D

Thanx again guys!

EDIT: Zab: yeah I know about the wrighting... it's the same font sfm is using:D... this is not the final cam angle tho, but I'll make sure it's readable, no worries! The reason for all the cables was to make the stool more intergrated in the design, you said yourself that the first concept could be interpreted as if the stool was the actual item, and the rest was just background! I am thinking of building a wooden plank instead tho... or at least as you say making the stool more visable! Somehow!!!

Zabiegly
21st Jun 2007, 21:11
The reason for all the cables was to make the stool more intergrated in the design, you said yourself that the first concept could be interpreted as if the stool was the actual item, and the rest was just background!

That proves that even I can sometimes be wrong :) I have to admit I didn't really understand your concept first as I was into commenting on all the other threads here and I guess I wasn't really open for a humerous entry.

But now I got it and I think your idea of having just a plank is even better than a plain stool :thumb:

Larsen
21st Jun 2007, 21:49
^oh

*shuffles off to drawingboard with lightsaber useless in hand... I was so looking forward to trying this*

Thanx man!

jay-mo
21st Jun 2007, 23:36
Sweet render man. The clear plastic tubes are a nice touch. 19 1/2 hours, yikes! At least it looks really cool.

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 23:44
That's a heavy hit for render time ! EEEK I suggest you keep them solid till you finish texturing and modelling! :)

Looking spiffing though!

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:17
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)