PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 - Tinukedaya - Chair

Tinukedaya
16th Jun 2007, 23:07
Hello there.

it's been loong time I've done anything. Having new job from last week, I'm a bit short on time, but I just had to start this one. I want to see how will the idea of mine look like.

So Here it goes. No background story to it yet (although it might come once). I want to see how the contrast of "high-tech" and "voice-pipes" to shout commands will look like. here the first layout. Seeing as I almost never work with actual sketches, you can take this first layout as one. :D

the pipes will have an docking position.

C&C welcomed as always!

Larsen
16th Jun 2007, 23:16
Looking forward to seeing you do this... will those pipes have the classic golden/brass look!?

Tinukedaya
16th Jun 2007, 23:19
Indeed. classic brass concept is the plan. ;)

gpdesigner
18th Jun 2007, 12:17
nice start . . it screams battleship to me . . .
gp

Freak
18th Jun 2007, 12:54
Nice it sort of has a Steam punk look to it.

Tinukedaya
18th Jun 2007, 21:10
Thanks folks. Just a really minor update.
I added the seat cushioning (right words???). I started on the pipes, not on this picture, but having this little time, not much to show you... Well, there isn't really much on the picture, I just thought I'll show it anyway. :flippy:

Larsen
18th Jun 2007, 21:15
Little time!?!? stop making excuses and get on with it... :nono:as I remember you build a pretty amazing hovertruck/armered bus last time:shiner::lol::cool: So snap out of it and get to work mate...:D

Freak
19th Jun 2007, 11:24
looks great, sort has a look of the captain chair on the defaint to it.

Tinukedaya
19th Jun 2007, 21:24
Little time!?!? stop making excuses and get on with it... :nono:as I remember you build a pretty amazing hovertruck/armered bus last time:shiner::lol::cool: So snap out of it and get to work mate...:D

Well.. You see... I got this new job last week. And now I'm on training, which I have to pass to be able to stay on the job. So it has kinda priority. That is the main problem though. As I moved to other place for it, I'm only put my 3D max on an notebook. And that an't a good way to do graphics, if you're used to 3 monitor setup... I really have no room for work. hehe.

But, I got an spare hour today to do more on the pipes... here it goes. the setup of them is almost done. they will have a bit more detailing....

Any c&c please?

oh. and I think I'll only leave the pipes on one side and add an kind of control anel to the other side.. I wanted to put that in fron of the chair, but I'm not sure anymore...

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 11:28
It's a great concept, but I am not sure if the styles mesh? Perhaps if the chair were more ultramodern it would work better? Right now it feels like an office chair. Perhaps something more exotic like a glass and steel wire construction like an Eva Jiricna staircase, would offset the gothic steampunk/victoriana better?

Tinukedaya
20th Jun 2007, 12:01
Thanks Tobian... I kinda like the chair that way... It makes an nice contrast to the rest. But well, one never know. I can try something else, if I'll have the time for it. Thanks again.

Tinukedaya
20th Jun 2007, 20:59
hm. A little spare time again. I started blocking up an "over-head" panel. and a little adjustement to the pipes material. I intend to put there a lot off wires....

Ozylot
20th Jun 2007, 21:06
Since you changed the pipes, I am having a hard time figuring out what they are for.

Looks pretty good! keep it up!

Larsen
20th Jun 2007, 22:02
Interesting... Either this is gonna fly or it's gonna dip:D... kinda like mine:D... One thing tho mate, when shouting, it'll be a real paine to have to put your head allmost between you knees to get within range of those pipes... wouldn't you say:D

I'd move 'em up head level, so he can get off a good 'Mick Jagger'!

My 2 cents!

Tinukedaya
20th Jun 2007, 22:12
well. those pipes have adjustable height. I'll add grips soon. This way he can only pull up the one he wants to shout into.. Kind of channel switch. quite a lot off work when he wants to speak on "all frequencies", but well. He ain't capain to just sit around, eh?

Tinukedaya
22nd Jun 2007, 18:44
I've started to add some detailing to the panel. not sure where I'll continue after I finish those a little.

Larsen
22nd Jun 2007, 18:47
From what I can see it looks great... tho it is rather hard to see:D... With projects like these tho it IS best to texture along the way, finish one thin off before you go on, or work on multible things at the same time...

Keep it up man:thumb:

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 19:12
looking cool... rather steampunk / dr. seuss looking... :D

Tinukedaya
23rd Jun 2007, 12:09
Thanks.
I know it might be better at some points to first completely finish something and then first start on next thing. I always have problems with that though.. Always stuck on some small details, looking half an hour onto the screen not sure what to do next... just rotating the viev and rendering again and again. Now on the notebook it's even worse. You can't imagine how little working place there is. :D

But well. I like this a lot. And hope to finish it even after the deadline, which I'll most probably miss...

Now, sitting in work having an lunch break I manage to sketch it and it gave me some poiters where to shall I continue..

biotech
23rd Jun 2007, 16:22
Nice, very steampunk!

Tinukedaya
23rd Jun 2007, 19:51
Thnaks man.

Slight update with an question... I've made the pipes on one side thiner. Which you think are better? I really can't decide which I like more.

I've made more place for the pipes to protrute under the panel. Larsen was right, it was to tight there.

So... what you think? Thiner pipes or thicker?

Tinukedaya
26th Jun 2007, 07:28
Ahhh.noone wants to share their opinion with me? :'(

I hope to post the sketch today. No other updates though. sadly.

Zabiegly
26th Jun 2007, 17:50
I think the size of the pipes is fine. They just look a bit rigid to me. You'd really have to twist your body if you want to say something in a specific pipe. Can they be adjusted so that they are right in front of your mouth when sitting in that chair?

Tinukedaya
26th Jun 2007, 18:16
Well, every single pipe has adjustable height and is posible to rotate. so you just choose which you want to speak to, pull it higher and rotate the mouth-piece to face you.

So all it takes to talk in it, is lean forward a bit and face it.

Maybe I shall make it more clear with putting the one most forward into the right position?

I think the size of the pipes is fine.

Which size are you talking about? Thiner or thicker? :D

Also, here goes the sketch. It is actually the first sketch I ever made... Normally I do just some blocking and prototyping in max directly... So... enjoy. :thumb:

tobian
26th Jun 2007, 22:20
Cool, I like your sketch, it helps to show off the design better. I prefer the thinner pipes myself, and perhaps more of them, with maybe a Heath-Robinson set of braces, t's and valves on them if you have the time, to sell the anachronisticness of them :) The foreground object is also needed IMHO, as it would help round off the seat.

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:19
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)