PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #6 Sarles1129 - UCAV Pilot's seat

Benji7869
17th Jun 2007, 03:30
Here is my first submission for this Challenge. My "Chair" is a pilots chair for a UCAV fighter. The Chair is in the reclined position because the pilots that man these UCAVS fly the entire time the UCAV is in flight. Additions to be added on this concept is the "Canopy" that houses the three monitors and MFD's I hope to get some of this modeled in AutoCAD but if I can't I will get a presentation done in 2D for it.

backstept
17th Jun 2007, 05:10
I'm assuming the UCAV pilot will not be in the jet :p

neat idea
I wouldn't have thought of it :D

Benji7869
18th Jun 2007, 19:25
Starting to do some mock up modeling in ACAD. Comments and questions accepted, just FYI I have lightwave trial version but don't seem to have the patience for some of the tutorials. If you have any links to some beginner lightwave tutorials let me in on them.

This is the basic layout of the chair hopefully I can progress this much further in autocad even thought I know it's really limited as apposed to other software packages.

Benji7869
19th Jun 2007, 13:29
Still progressing through the modeling, I'm doing the model in AutoCAD so I'm really limited on what I can accomplish on this model. I would love to hear feed back on ways to get this looking better.

tobian
19th Jun 2007, 14:25
Hmm that's going to be a difficult model to do on autocad! Still, what you have so far looks fairly good! I think you may need to work out in sketch form the style and details of the chair, because if it's going to be a difficult build in 3D you don't want to give yourself more work in 3D.. just because you are supposed to do a sketch, doesn't mean you have only to do one! :D and you are allowed to change your mind.. most of the time, during the translation between one's minds eye and 3d, issues arise, which are hard to conceptualise in 2D. You;ll know yourself.. sometimes wonderful plans make awful 3d buildings, and vice versa :D

Benji7869
19th Jun 2007, 18:23
Stage 3

Here is the stage 3 release of my UCAV Command chair. The "Canopy" is starting to come around and I'm starting to play around with how it's going to get connected to the overall seat. I also will be starting to detailing the bottom podium that the seat is on.

Are these models supposed to be all dressed up or are the bare clay models going to be good enough?

Ozylot
19th Jun 2007, 21:00
I think it would be a good idea to make it look as good as you can. Canopy has a nice shape! :thumb:

plus there is also alot that you can do with materials and procedurals.

tobian
20th Jun 2007, 10:02
It doesn't specifically state you have too. If you can't manage it, since the project is only for one render, you could maybe paint over your render with texture and colour, if you don't know how to do it in software, or your software isn't capable! However, since the point of the challenges in general is to push your knowledge and skill to it's extremes, I'd recommend it!

Looking interesting, and that's quite a nice simple way of raising the viewport. Now you just need to detail the controls!

Benji7869
21st Jun 2007, 19:21
This is the first time I'm trying to put Material to a model in ACAD. I'm going to next focus on adding the controllers on the arm rest. The other area I'm going to need to work on is greebleing the base of the "Canopy" and the connection where the "Canopy" pivots. I'm also going to add in the details of the space that this chair and the rest of the squadron's chairs would be in.

Question's and comments are welcomed and begged for.

Ozylot
21st Jun 2007, 19:34
Kinda makes me think of a tanning bed. Materials are kinda hard to make out because of the compression though. Cool stuff!

(BTW, that last image was really badly compressed. (jpeg artifacts) If possible it might be good to save the render to BMP or something and then open it with GIMP or photoshop to save to jpeg, that way you will be able to better control the output.)

tobian
21st Jun 2007, 23:55
Yeah gotta agree with Ozylot there, the compression doesn't help!

looks pretty good: have you thought about where and how the user controls the chair? Perhaps you need t work through some sketches of the controll interface too, if you'd find it hard to 'sketch' in autocad, in that sense?

JeffrySG
22nd Jun 2007, 01:20
many times if I have to 'sketch' in a cad application, I'll usually just create a bunch of cubes and then push and pull them around until I get the general shape I want... then I can go back and use whatever tools may get the job done the best, but at least I have something to work off of....

the chair is looking nice! keep up the good work!

Benji7869
22nd Jun 2007, 13:14
I'm finding there are sever limitations to modeling in AutoCAD, The top of which is texturing all I can really hope for is to assign materials to an object and hope that it comes out in the render looking good.

The case in-point for lack of texturing ability is that the glass on the "Canopy" is a computer monitor that will give the pilot the "Pilots Eye View" of the UCAV that he/she is commanding. Also I would have loved for the seat to come out with a lot more texture to make it look more comfortable.

I can't wait to get some real modeling software!

Anyway I'm still brain storming on the controls for this chair but I wanted to post an update on the space that this chair and the rest of the squadron's control chairs will occupy.

I really have enjoyed doing this exercise. I think that we should try to do one a month.... that would be awesome! If not a contest then just a suggested topic to work on, there is another board that I lurk on that does a drawing study once a month and it really helps not to get in to an artist's block.

tobian
22nd Jun 2007, 23:26
Well it's starting to come together, but you're running against the wall of the limitations of your software for doing this sort of task! Perhaps include some 2D elements as well, using the abilities of the software, to make the control panels or sear details in 2D... go to it's strengths?

Benji7869
26th Jun 2007, 14:43
Here is the first shot of the Pilots Space. I know this is compressed pretty bad but it gives you an idea of how the space might eventually look. I've added a few things to the chair one thing that is hard to see is the Control's and key board for the UCAV and the other is some panels on the pedestal. You can see these more clearly in the second jpeg.

I'm still trying to play with some 2d stuff to get the look I want but I don't think they will be figured out by dead line time.

As always Comments and Critiques asked for!

tobian
26th Jun 2007, 22:15
I'm liking it, though the renders, are they in a axonometric format, rather than perspective view? I'd try and render your pictures out as a 24 bit format, then create the 'upoaded' version from it, using 3rd party software, such as GIMP, which is freeware, if you don't have photoshop etc. I NEVER save outputs of JPEG, I always output lossless filetypes, then compress for the website upload, it's just the best way to do it! It also seems like your renders are being output in a limited colour pallette (maybe 256 or less?) this is always going to go horribly with the JPEG compression format, as JPEG doesn't like heavilly grained images. If you can't save full colour ouput renders, then save them in a lossless 8 bit format, such as GIF or PNG (8 bit).

Still the design is nice, but I would try and fill in that bissing bit under the chair's 'knee' area, as it does stand out in some renders.

Keep up the good work!

Benji7869
27th Jun 2007, 15:41
Trying a new way of compressing the image. Let me know if this is better.

Also added where controls on the arm rests. I also redesigned the pedistal to be more functional with the main "Control" computer behind the back rest of command chair. I was thinking of adding seat belts and a hydraulic platform underneath the seat for it to simulate the motion of the UCAV.

tobian
27th Jun 2007, 15:49
Looks MUCH better! :)

The base is also looking much improved. Perhaps make the screen on the console twice as high, because right now, the operator can't see much, even though he has a joystick type controlls? This'll also make the keyboard a more sensible height for him to type on, I think. :)

Benji7869
27th Jun 2007, 17:14
Looks MUCH better! :)

The base is also looking much improved. Perhaps make the screen on the console twice as high, because right now, the operator can't see much, even though he has a joystick type controlls? This'll also make the keyboard a more sensible height for him to type on, I think. :)

This is the revised height of the monitor and keyboard. Let me know if this is what you meant. I agree that this allows for better use of the keyboard. I haven't been able to find an "Ergo Man" for CAD so I had to guess on some proportions.

Benji7869
28th Jun 2007, 04:10
Here is the Chair on it's motion platform. For my final submission I will be getting this platform and chair into the new pilots space.

tobian
28th Jun 2007, 13:27
Yeah proportions are pretty hard without some ergonomic data, and then you have to make it look visually appealing! :) Looks improved now, so far as I can guess myself hehe.

The motion controller doesn't quit sit with the concept, mainly because he doesn't have a wrap around display, but it's a cool model nontheless :D

Benji7869
28th Jun 2007, 19:28
Here is my first attempt at lighting and the arrangement of the Pilots Space. I also have been working up a concept for this seat to be on a motion base. Please let me know which room you think I should progress to the final tomorrow night.

For clarification the dark gray wall in front of the motion platform in the second pic is a cinema screen that shows the data sent back from the UCAV's sensors.

Also note that AutoCAD won't allow me to add any thing other then blank screens due to it not being a presentation modeling software like 3DSmax or Lightwave etc....

tobian
29th Jun 2007, 00:17
Well you just gotta use what you have: Still, what you've done, is pretty spiffing :)

I'd suggest trying to put the chair it's self in centre stage for the final render shot, as it's hard to make out, and with that kind of resolution, you need to focus on it, to make out all the hard work you've done! :)

Zabiegly
29th Jun 2007, 09:20
This is to remind you that the Challenge closes tonight (29th June) at midnight CDT (GMT -6).

Please submit your final entry at the Submission Thread (http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/challenge-wips/28941-submission-thread.html). If you already did you are free to ignore this message. ;)

Benji7869
29th Jun 2007, 14:31
Proposed layout for my submission tonight. I want to emphasize the chairs details but I wanted to put the chair in context of the space.

There will be text on the this presentation outlining the parts of the chair as well as what the mission the chair was designed to carry out.

Any pointers would be great.

tobian
29th Jun 2007, 16:59
Hmm, the model is looking good, but again, try and make a large image of the actual chair in the centre of the screen, as it's kind of the emphasis of the competition! :)

Benji7869
30th Jun 2007, 03:03
Here is my final design submission. I think that I have gone to the extreme edge of what AutoCAD can accomplish with it's rendering.

I'm happy with how the presentation came out and I think that the next time a challenge like this one comes up I will be able to complete it as well.

Thanks Tobian for all your insights I hope that I have shown you that I took all your advice to heart in this design.

tobian
30th Jun 2007, 12:43
Haha you're welcome. Don't get me wrong, I thought your group renderings were cool, I just thought you needed to have the chair centre-stage for the competition entry. Looks superb!