Page 101 of 443 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4421

Thread: Star Wars projects thread

Quote Originally Posted by farshot View Post
    Did you even read my entire post? The globes are both sensor domes and LOCALIZED shield generators. Obviously, each one protects a vital part.
    Apparently I did gloss over the chronology at the end of your post, apologies. Either that or you added it while I was replying to the first part. By and large a logical summary, except for one issue. While I have no problem with the globe being dual purpose, or local secondary shield generators, it still doesn't make any sense for it to only cover about 200m of hull (i.e. not even the full local critical area, the bridge tower). Because if the domes are really dual purpose, then the other 5 intact systems should still have stopped the A-Wing, unless the area affected is really that low.

Quote Originally Posted by farshot View Post
    And Wookiepedia says 19000 meters. Look before you judge...And when a person makes one mistake, that doesn't mean every other thing they do OR SAY is bad.
    Not talking about wookie, which is not a source in and of itself, but a collection of snippets from others. I mean the Essential guide people, who for the first edition couldn't even be bothered to get proper orthogonal line drawings for both the ISD and the SSD. I think that's enough to warrant treating the rest of it with some suspicion.

As for the grav well, I thought it was random engine firing that caused the powerdive.

I'm talking about a gravity well generator. You know, like the kind used by Interdictor cruisers.

Otherwise, stormtroopers would be sticking to the walls instead of the floor.

The other five don't have to be protecting the bridge. What about the engines? I bet if you shot one of those, it might blow up a large chunk of the Executor.
    Last edited by farshot; 16th Mar 2009 at 21:54.

All this debate is interesting.......but lets let Ansel get back to doing what he does so well. Are you still pondering putting a vertical array on something? Or would you limit that style to early Imperial cruisers and things?
    Kneel or you will be knelt

Ok, my last bit on this for a while:

Why would point-defense shield generators on the globes of the bridge complex protect the engines? Shield generators placed for dramatic effect? At the very least, the second set of projectors on the tower itself should have compensated for the temporary loss of the bridge shields from the first globe going up. And why bother with linking sensor function and shield emitters? Just a sloppy way of trying to rationalize away old brainbugs, imo.

Simplest explanation is that the globes are just sensor globes, and whatever shield function they may have was damaged along with the rest of the shields under the rebel fleet's point bombardment. We both agree, I think, that the mon cals brought some part of the main shields down, and an A-Wing got lucky.

Gravity well generators and artificial gravity aren't the same thing. The same system keeping the crew on the deck isn't going to accelerate a 19km star dreadnought like that. Unless you want to make a lot of stormtrooper pizza. And I don't think there's anything in the descriptions of interdictor grav wells acting directly on a ship like that, only to prevent ships from jumping to hyperspace. And that process is handwavium anyway.
    Last edited by fractalsponge; 16th Mar 2009 at 22:11.

Hey, I'm just trying to make excuses for all the stupid things we see in Episode VI. How else should I explain the giant fireball? That's all I can thing of.

It`s just a movie.
    "Ars gratia artis"

Yeah, but I'm a geek. And I like to argue.

Oh, as for the vertical array - I think this is going to be an ISDII contemporary, so probably not. This is probably also due to the fact I haven't been able to make a vertical array that doesn't look ****.

The ol' vertical array always looked sort of dumb if you ask me. But if you ask me its not possible for you to make something look like ****.
    Kneel or you will be knelt

SFM Article Writer homerpalooza67's Avatar
    Im not sure where i read this but this is the explanation for gravity pulling ships out of hyperspace (which is the biggest handwavium you could find ):
    Hyperdrive engines have a failsafe built in: When the ships sensors detect a gravity well, of the type produced by planets and suns, the hyperdrive shuts off so the ship wont crash into the planet at +c. Now, if a spaceship can mimic the gravitational effect produced by a planet, any ships coming along that path will be yanked out of hyperspace. However, there is no canon source for interdicter cruisers anyway; it all comes from the EU
    "Homer, you father was the captain of a starship for 12 minutes. We lost 800 lives and the ship was destroyed by collision. I dare you to do better."-killakanz

'You get home from work, the wife asks, What did you do today?

You respond, I pancaked Qs butt. '

Anything that is licensed by Lucas's companies is considered canon. As long as it isn't fanfic, it's canon. EU is canon. Interdictor cruisers are canon. End of story.