Page 1 of 98 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandeur Bridge v2.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Grandeur Bridge v2.0

Some history:
    So here we are, a completely new and virgin project: the second version of the U.S.S. Grandeur bridge interior. SeanR had originally created one using the Ent-E bridge interior as a heavy influence, but when Vektor got rolling on the new version of the ship itself we all realized that the great-looking bridge module he'd created didn't fit with the bridge interior designed by SeanR oh-so-many years ago.

I was brought on to the project when SeanR found himself unable to continue working on it. Believe me when I say that his are some extremely difficult shoes to fill and I sometimes feel that I've bitten off more than I can chew. Regardless, I've committed myself to it and will see it through to the last. Fortunately, Sean will hopefully be able to steer me in the right direction during this process and the end result will be a fine blend between his incredible interior design skills and my own relatively effective modelling skills.

For starters, let's get going with the basic outline/shape of the bridge module itself, as it was designed by Vektor:

Right now it ain't much to look at, but soon I will be sectioning things off and adding stations. Once the layout/blueprint is complete I will then begin the actual modelling process. Any ideas or suggestions about where things can go would be welcome and probably very helpful.

So... let's begin, shall we?
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by NightShadow; 1st Sep 2008 at 21:36.
    "Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

too close

I assume those are turbolifts at the bottom of that inner elipse? They seem to be too close together and facing each other at a bad angle. Too many people exiting both lifts at the same time would be a very inefficient way of getting onto the bridge.

Some ideas to consider when making access points to the bridge, in all the episodes of star trek shows especially voyager it seems like any intruder that can't walk through walls seems to easily take over the bridge as soon as they exit the turbolifts. Maybe if the turbolifts were positioned with a tactical advantage in mind for security teams it would be harder to take over the bridge without a fight and without losses. For example the turbolifts could be located at either end of the view screen instead of behind everyone of the bridge. Security officers on the bridge could have a clean and somewhat protected shot from cover at either turbolift entrance if they were at the front instead of the back. Also it seems that most of the control panels that would help a bridge crew resist are located behind the captains chair especially in voyager episodes. Exiting a turbolift from the rear gives the intruders a clean shot at the helm controls and the tactical stations but from the front they are forced to fight people that have already taken cover and had time to erect and still have control of a forcefield or two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good point! We should consider that, I think.

Jay, I am so looking forward to this!
    theCommander
    XO & Designer/Co-creator of USS Grandeur & USS Blackfoot - Commander of Geo-01 Fleet

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more!
    Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store - Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store - Our Props & Models Polls

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad this thread got started, not being the artist that all of you are, I will try and limit my comments in that way. I guess the only thing we need to mention for future thought is that we still would prefer a single station for the Helm/Con area like in the older bridge pictures. Short of that it will be interesting to see what developes.
    the Captain
    CO of USS Grandeur - NFC-90125-A

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more! or Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store and our new Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store Take our polls on models and props

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are indeed turbolifts, as indicated by Vektor's bridge module design. I can't move 'em unless Vektor moves them. That said, the space in between the turbolifts is actually a pretty wide hallway (enough room for two people to pass with about 2 feet between them) which leads to either the main bridge (fore) or the conference room (aft). I've mocked up a quick shot of the turbolifts with a human model between them so that you can see just how wide apart they really are.

"Poly count is king." - Me
    I'm a logophile. Look it up.

SFM Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

scale

Ah ok that is a bigger bridge than I thought it was gonna be. You might also consider that the bridge could be constructed as a module that could be ejected in case of an emergency for example the only surviving people on board were on the bridge and the ship was gonna explode or the bridge was taken over and nobody survived up there so eject the bridge with the intruders still on it so they can't control the ship etc.

Those turbolifts remind me of tng for some reason.

Downloads
    Uploads
    er... another good point Jay. It looks good and clear space to me.

NOTE: I sent you an email, Jay
    theCommander
    XO & Designer/Co-creator of USS Grandeur & USS Blackfoot - Commander of Geo-01 Fleet

>>> Join the Starship Grandeur Facebook group for all of the cool designs found here and much more!
    Check Out our Starship Grandeur CafePress Store - Starship Grandeur Zazzle Store - Our Props & Models Polls

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, with this image, I can only say: 'Wide is relative.'
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just because the turbo lifts are where they are, we all assume that is the back of the bridge. Probably because we are condtioned to do so given what we know of cannon bridge design. I say reverse the layout, leave them where they are and make that the front of the bridge. Yes I know you said there is a hall way there, but how often would it be used? Maybe the view screen could be movable as in hinged or retractable so when you neede to get in the room behind it just moved out of the way. Just a thought, at this point you can't really say one way or the other if it's worth it or not, things are at too early a point to tell.
    BoogerMc
    Klingon Carrier Concept (once again) / USS NAVAJRON /Halloween Costumes
    "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, the choice is up to you" - Me

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Dr-Timelord's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With those lifts pretty much smack bang in the middle, i am interesting to watch how this will develop. It should bring up interesting concepts for bridge designs

Page 1 of 98 123451151 ... LastLast