Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Madden's Dedication Class

Chris Madden's Dedication Class

Hi all,

I came across Chris Madden's "Dedication Class" design for the Enterprise-F Star Trek Online contest and was quite taken with it. I contacted Chris and he was happy for me to develop his sketch (attached) into a 3D model.

I thought it would be good to develop it here, as I received some excellent advice whilst developing my Insignia Class. I also thought it was nice to return to scifi-meshes after all these years I always lurk the pages but rarely have time to contribute

Attached is the early work I have done so far with the model. I have kept Chris up to date with this initial development, and he was happy for me to post it here.

His vision for the class is that it is a homage to the shuttle program, and the ships would be named in line with that. I envision it to be a late 24th Century vessel, circa 2387. I read somewhere that a justification for the 2009 JJ Enterprise looking so "modern" was that the technology evolved differently due to the USS Kelvin's sensor readings encounter the Narada. I wondered that, if it also picked up some other readings - perhaps from a Dedication Class ship some distance on the other side of the rift, that would justify how the JJ Enterprise has similar lines to the Dedication Class.

It would be really good to get some advice on rendering and shading techniques for 3DS Max as I develop this further, and any other general advice. I'm always looking to improve my skills.

So, take a look at what I've done so far and tell me what you think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dedication_0.jpeg 
Views:	1615 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	98292  
    Last edited by MarkyMark; 14th Jul 2012 at 14:24.

I love the style of his sketch
    I pity the fool!

I love that ship. It was my vote. I cant wait to see her finished.

I have Severly thought of building this one after I seen it on the contest.. good design, and excellent image for it!!

Good luck with it.. plenty of Max users around, MadKoiFish comes to mind for one of the best.. and he's approchable (mostly) on questions!

Looking forward to this!
    "May you be in Heaven five minutes before the devil knows you're dead"
    Old Irish Toast

My Model Shop!: Ugh Models

Why didn't this win the contest?! This is way better than the chosen design, IMO.

Awesome start on the 3D model. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

Great concept!
    I Am The Glorious Victorious!

That concept is definitively one of my favorites designs ever, so I really want to see how it evolves into 3D! Great work so far!

I really liked this design and voted for it as well. It's good to see that it is being made into a 3D model!
    All I want is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...

Interesting. This was my vote as well. It seems kind of strange that a design that is apparently popular wasn't chosen whereas one that most of us despise was. Just makes me wonder if the developers will get their collective heads out of each other's...ahem.

Anywho, nice start on your 3D interpretation. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

Welcome back Mark!
    You captured very well the sketchīs spirit. Based upon what I saw you building all the past years, for sure this mesh will turns out in a great ship.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast