Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avalon Aerospace

Avalon Aerospace

- - -
    If you're looking for the Space Command stuff, it starts about halfway down this page
    - - -

If you follow me, you may have noticed a somewhat frustrating trend: I can't texture for crap. So, I chose a relatively simple subject, rockets. Modeling isn't terribly tricky, and UV unwrapping is a breeze. No I get to let the texture quality (or lack thereof) show though.

- - -

This is the Banshee heavy-lift semi-expendable lift vehicle. (or, the first stage of one at least).Seven massive RP-1/LOX fueled Griffon engines give a full Banshee-stack a lift of upwards of 100 metric tonnes. Once each stage has done it's job, it returns to it's launch site and propulsivly lands on deployable legs. The stage itself is semi-pressure stabilized, allowing for easy ground handling without the bulk of a full-up isogrid style like the DeltaIV.

(An aerodynamic downrange return using a sling-wing configuration was examined, but the meager increases in payload mass were not worth the added hassle of hauling spent stages across the globe.)

A better look at the engine cluster. Each Griffon engine puts out slightly under 6mn, making it one of the most powerful engines in the world (after the F-1 and RD-170).

Another view of the engines, this time with the landing legs stowed. Each engine runs on a gas-generator cycle, and the regenerativly-cooled nozzle can gimbal five degrees for control.

A better view of the First-stage engine manifold, including some aerospace-engineer humor painted on one shroud.

The First-stage from above. The cap of the LOX tank is visible, however the RCS for post-separation turnaround and fueling interconnects are still to be modeled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8921-23-351060.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	103824  

The landing gear reminds me of KSP....
    https://renegadeinitiative.wordpress.com/
    "It's about the future, Madame Chancellor. Some people think the future means the end of history. Well, we haven't run out of history quite yet. Your father called the future - "the undiscovered country". People can be very frightened of change."

I dig!

depends, how well do you know my momentum?
    well it looks very good, the texturing is better than on many of my models. look forward to seeing the rest of the rcoket. have you finished the CTS andrasata now?

Very cool, along the lines of the next gen Falcon launcher
    The original Totally Insane AUTOCAD Modeler
    Creator of the Spiral War Universe and the unofficial SFM Crew Calculator.
    Now Available on Kindle Via Noble Storm Books
    Spiral War: On Dagger's Wings
    Spiral War: In Death's Shadow
    Sprial War: Rising Warrior/Rising Threat
    Spiral War: Armageddon's Pal
    Pick up your copies and join the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmangreg View Post
    The landing gear reminds me of KSP....
    Surprised you picked up on the landing gear and not the engines. The Griffin is heavily based off the LVT-45.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefighter View Post
    well it looks very good, the texturing is better than on many of my models. look forward to seeing the rest of the rcoket. have you finished the CTS andrasata now?
    Thanks! I've been trying to brush up on my texturing skills. As for Andrasta, I finished the modeling, but she's got some tricky shapes, and I'm still trying to work out how best to texture her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight26 View Post
    Very cool, along the lines of the next gen Falcon launcher
    Thanks! I'm quite a SpaceX fanboy, and the Banshee borrows a lot from the Falcon.

UPDATE (ish)
    In a ham-handed attempt to re-model the Banshee first-stage, I got the mesh all tangled up. Since re-doing it would be tedious, and because the whole point of this exercise was learning how to texture, I scrapped the mesh and started a new one.

What is she? A frigate of the USAF Space Command. What is that? Apparently a branch of the Air Forces that Commands... in space. (can you tell how much time I spent working on the background lore?) Well, actually there's more too it from that. This Frigate is from a (holly fictional) 60's TV show set in the far-off year of 1999. Frigates like these patrol the system, on the lookout for Soviet marauders, Martian Pirates, and general alien nastiness. An Apollo CSM is included for scale reference.

A 3/4th view. Gemini-style radiator belts adorn her tapering hull, and twin banks of phased-array radars are mounted on the sides. They're not that obvious, but doors just above the "U.S. Air Force" signage reveal the missile carousel. Propellent RCS mounted around the cockpit give a significant about of maneuverability. (How much is "Significant"? as much as is needed for the plot!)

Her belly has a little less detail, other than the squadron patch emblazoned on her hull.

The Engine bank and primary fuel tank has four radially mounted reverse thruster packs. These engines lack the ISP of the mains, but have an enormous TWR, and are invaluable when you need to stop now.

The Main engines themselves are... sorta... Nuclear Thermal Rocket-ish. Clustering that many reactors that close together probably wouldn't be good for anything (not to mention irradiating anything alongside). So they're NOT NTRs, they just act like them on the show.

Love it! Very well thought out. Hope there is more to come.

Groovy! The Thunderhawks are Go! Or is it Space Command: 1999? Anyway, looks cool. Looks like the show's model makers saw the Andrasta and based their frigate on it. Textures are coming along too.
    Last edited by Mikey-B; 23rd Apr 2013 at 14:58.

I am really liking the recent near space and retro future vibe going about lately and this is a great addition to it.
    The original Totally Insane AUTOCAD Modeler
    Creator of the Spiral War Universe and the unofficial SFM Crew Calculator.
    Now Available on Kindle Via Noble Storm Books
    Spiral War: On Dagger's Wings
    Spiral War: In Death's Shadow
    Sprial War: Rising Warrior/Rising Threat
    Spiral War: Armageddon's Pal
    Pick up your copies and join the adventure.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast