Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S.S. Canticle, Federation Non-Starfleet ship

S.S. Canticle, Federation Non-Starfleet ship

This is a sister ship to The S.S. Anthem. Both it and the Canticle are proofs of concept for various drive, weapons and material technologies.

For this ship I was wondering what would happen if they tried fusing hydrogen and anti-hydrogen (separately) then mixing the helium and anti-helium in the warp core.

Although it's a sister ship, only a few features will carry over from the Anthem. (Why bother doing a new ship if it looks like the last one?) This is the start on the port pylon and nacelle.

Attached Images  
    Last edited by rojren; 2nd Oct 2015 at 01:09.

Worked more on the nacelles. I put the bussard next to the nacelle, instead of at the front of it, because why not?.

I still don't really know what the rest of the ship will look like.

Looking good so far. Though, in answer to "why not?" there's this: Bussard collectors are used to draw in (collect) deuterium, aka heavy hydrogen, which is used to fuel the fusion generators that power the ship. By shrouding them the way you have, it would make it harder to use their collection function than if they are exposed in the front. Just food for thought.

There's a clear shot through the split pylon for the magnetic fields to collect the hydrogen. The collector is to the side of the nacelle instead of sharing the same housing as the warp coils.

So... I wonder how effective bussard collectors would be with a lot of traffic over the years. How fast is interstellar hydrogen replaced? And could you even use such dangerously powerful systems in busy space lanes? I' d think you'd have to be careful with navigational deflectors as well. You wouldn't want to accidentally destroy someone's ship if it crossed your path.

Space is so big and vast that the odds of just "happening upon" another vessel are actually quite slim. Besides, the long range sensors on Star Trek seem to be quite good at detecting most anything long before it's in range, so I don't think there would be much danger of accidentally blasting someone's ship with the nav deflector.

As for the bussard collectors, I think the general idea is that they just drop out of warp in a system with a hydrogen heavy gas giant or star and use the collectors near enough to it to collect the hydrogen. How quickly they need to replenish their deuterium tanks would likely depend on usage. If they're pushing their systems to the limit, they'll use more deuterium than if they're running in normal operations mode.

Playing with a shape for the hull. I want to have a ball shape, but I may be going too far afield with it.

Whoops. I forgot to change the nav light color.

Interesting shape for the main hull.

Added a Enterprise refit era navigational deflector and a bridge complex. I accidentally the wrong visualization from the pulldown, and got a hand drawn look. I like the look so I kept it this time.

Nice. I like your cutouts to incorporate the elements into the sphere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast