Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Class Starship in Blender

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    As for the pod arrangement, rather than a tripod or "leg" approach, how about a "fin" style arrangement- for inspiration maybe consider the neck section of the 1701-A-era Enterprise, or the (slightly infamous) 3rd nacelle on the "future" Enterprise D. This way you'd have a sleeker overall design, and you could make a case for the pod actually being a modular, mission-specific addition with a universal attachment?
    Oh, of course! I definitely want to go with something like that. Thanks!
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

I was going to suggest something similar so I second everything that Samurai said. Great progress so far and I'm sure whatever artistic license you take will be fine...unless it's not and we'll all let you know. J/K
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

Another alternative might be the "neck" of the Nebula-class with it's module pod......
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

Quote Originally Posted by Aresius View Post
    Another alternative might be the "neck" of the Nebula-class with it's module pod......
    That depends on which version you're considering. The Phoenix variant had that goofy looking dual pylon setup for the pod whereas the standard layout was pretty much the same setup as the pylon that was used on the Galaxy dreadnought.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

Aye, right, sorry, forgot about that darn Phoenix. No, i meant something along those lines:
    See the Shadows of Darkness, Hear the Scream of Cruelty...

That's why I've became a Warrior of Heart, Defend the one you like, Guard the one you love...

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I have the basic approaches worked out, and now it's just a matter of finishing all the details up.

I still have to add some details, but the weapon pod is definitely coming along.

Here's what I went with for connecting pylons. I wanted something familiar but distinctive to this class, and I think I'm happy with my choice. It should detail up nicely.

She looks really good from this angle.

One version of the original studio model had an additional deflector module connected to the saucer. It looked about like this. I like the idea of the additional module. It could be a configuration designed for personnel transport. But I do not care for the connectors, and I will be going a different direction.

In order to create that new module, I actually snagged my Galaxy Class secondary hull in an early step of its creation and then modified it. It really saved a bunch of work. That deflector dish is a bitch to get just so.

I have another project or two that is calling to me, and I may have to set this girl aside for a little while. But I'm really looking forward to finishing this mesh up...
    Last edited by Polaris 004; 24th Jan 2018 at 20:31.
    "Of course the Neverlands vary a great deal. John's, for instance, had a lagoon with flamingoes flying over it at which he was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it." --Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

It's looking great. Nice and clean. I was wondering if you were going to do the version with the lower pod. That answers that.

SFM Guru
    Looking great. And yes, those connection are rather ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't like the lower module being connected that way, either. From a practical standpoint, it means that turbolifts, power and data connections et alia have to go all the way outboard before coming back inboard again. Seems impractical and potentially dangerous.
    Jennifer Linsky
    "When first my brave Jenny lass came to this town, she had a blue bonnet that wanted a crown..." --Robbie Burns

Interesting idea, adding the secondary hull in to the overall design- I'm only passingly familiar with the "canon" design not being a consistent Trek fan, so the expanded concept is new to me. Those connectors look like a logistical nightmare however, and I'm struggling at this point to come up with an idea for linking those two sections together that isn't what you've gone with for the weapons pod (which looks great, by the way), or some kind of riff on the "tried and tested" neck arrangement. It has, however got me thinking about a bare-bones style primary hull & warp drives concept with modular hookpoints for cargo or mission-specific roles...

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast