Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sovereign styled Nova

Hampton Roads. In SE Virginia? hit me up!
    The video card decided that everything should be green and that screens should only update every other second. It is a bit of a hindrance to modeling.

I still have my work laptop, but it is a 5-year old Think Pad to which I am not allowed to install programs. Surfing the web is about as interesting as it gets.

At least all you need to replace is the video card. It could be worse.

I get a friend's computer for a few days while he's away on business! So, I made some new nacelles.

I was thoroughly unhappy with the ones that I had added as placeholders.

In the continuance of mixing styles, I needed something which has shape cues from both the sovereign and nova classes. It turns out, they have surprisingly different nacelles.

I'm debating whether I should round the edges on the bottom side. It would make things somewhat messy, but might add some attractiveness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	406.3 KB 
ID:	113782

Name:	WIP5.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	113783

Name:	WIP6.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	113784

The smoothness you have right now on the nacelles looks good to me.
    To be honest, while I did like the overall design of the Nova class, the fluidity was frequently broken with harder edges on the nacelles, while TNG tried emphasizing the 'smoothness' and fluidity of the Galaxy class all round for instance.
    The Intrepid compromises on fluidity with nacelle pylons for example and even sometimes seems a bit too 'busy' on the outside.

Anyway... have you considered perhaps extending the aft portion of the nacelle pylons so they look like an arc where they connect to the nacelles going further backwards (similar to what I scrubbed up in MS Paint)?

Hehe... I apologize if I ruined the look of the image, but I feel lazy and MS paint is a bit more limited than Adobe.
    But you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP6.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	113785  
    Environment shapes Human behavior. Greed, selfishness, competition, etc. are learned patterns of behavior as a result of living in an outdated socio-economic system that's based on scarcity and an unsustainable ideology of 'indefinite growth on a finite planet' that creates conditions where such behaviors will inevitably emerge.
    We need to unleash our science and technology into the social system which desperately needs an update.
    Reserarch the Venus Project and Resource Based Economy

The nacelles look good. It's good that you were able to work on it some more.

Well, that was an excellent idea!

By the way, if anyone knows how to retrieve dialog boxes (which don't appear on the taskbar or in the alt-tab selector) from screens which are no longer attached to the computer, I'd love a solution.

Last edited by WideFoot; 2nd Sep 2016 at 15:22.

It's time to think about greebles and windows and such. I went into this without any particular deck spacing in mind, but by complete chance, an 11ft. floor-to-floor height works perfectly in this ship. (yes, I know, Trek ships are done in metric, but by training I'm an architectural engineer in America and was taught exclusively in the imperial system.)

By comparison, a typical concrete office building has a f-t-f height of 10 ft. and a steel building has 12 to 14 ft.

I was looking at the curves in the saucer and I am worried that the deck spacing and window locations will conspire to interrupt the bezier curve I have draped over the saucer which I was going to use for texturing.

I plan on mounting a pair of impulse engines to the lower/aft edge of the saucer.

Last edited by WideFoot; 2nd Sep 2016 at 15:23.

http://imgur.com/a/GqQXp

By the way, all images are here. There are a few earlier images of the ship before the initial blocking was complete.

Hm... I was wondering about greebles and things on ships.
    Namely, TOS Enterprise was originally imagined as most of the things being on the inside the ship... namely, technical efficiency means doing more with less.
    We could try to apply this analogy here for example.
    Some detailing on the hull can certainly be made, but avoid making it too busy... as if you want to emulate technical efficiency... things such as shield emitters and sensor arrays would probably be part of the hull - namely, designed to be part of the hull plating (think transparent windows that are capable of producing power from sunlight - that kind of thinking).

I was thinking on integrating something like that onto the Nightfire as I think that too much detailing might be the wrong direction for an advanced space-faring culture that's a lot more advanced.

But I digress, it's your design...

Btw, the new nacelle pylons certainly do look more appealing...
    Last edited by Deks; 29th Aug 2016 at 20:36.
    Environment shapes Human behavior. Greed, selfishness, competition, etc. are learned patterns of behavior as a result of living in an outdated socio-economic system that's based on scarcity and an unsustainable ideology of 'indefinite growth on a finite planet' that creates conditions where such behaviors will inevitably emerge.
    We need to unleash our science and technology into the social system which desperately needs an update.
    Reserarch the Venus Project and Resource Based Economy

...Actually, I was planning on cutting all kinds of holes in this hull.

Specifically:
    • Replicating many of the sensor arrays of the Nova Class
    • Adding hull plate details similar to the Sovereign Class
    • Adding a smattering of windows
    • Vents in the nacelle struts
    • Escape pods
    • Impulse engines
    • The hull plate grid detail (which many claim is the way deflector shields are projected)
    But, I am planning to make the unblemished base model (the condition it is in now) available along with the final model.

I do understand liking the smoother style. In TOS, that was a holdover from the smooth V2 rocket styled ships of Buck Rodgers and other works of that era. But, after 2001: A Space Odyssey, I think we can find a nice balance between the overall shape of a thing and the minute details in it.

And, Frankly, I like making the gritty stuff and looking at it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast