Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Interiors

SFM Obsessed
    Ok, I'm going to have to be blunt: That definitely looks wrong Rusty. The extinguishers should be in the equipment lockers to port and starboard - it's what they're there for. These undermine the entire design.

This sets the bridge back by about 100yrs...
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

And you just put him in charge of the entire nation.

@Starscream: As far as I'm aware, in canon they were never identified as equipment lockers, the only time we saw them open they were used to access the internal circuitry of the ship. Unless I'm missing something from later seasons, the idea of those panels being lockers came up from non canon material disregarding its canon use.
    For my finished Trek bridges and other works of mine, visit my portfolio
    If you're interested in commissions, please visit this page

SFM Obsessed
    Which is fair, however that's only the middle panel, and clearly the extinguishers are kept somewhere. They've not otherwise been on display since the 2290s - and even back then, not consistently. Even the Defiant, stripped down to the essentials as it is, doesn't have extinguishers dotted openly about.

Putting them on display here is (admittedly IMO, I'll be interested to see Bolian and evil_geniuss input!) incongruous with both the design and the era.
    He's not just a moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation, working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived.

SFM Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Which is fair, however that's only the middle panel, and clearly the extinguishers are kept somewhere. They've not otherwise been on display since the 2290s - and even back then, not consistently. Even the Defiant, stripped down to the essentials as it is, doesn't have extinguishers dotted openly about.

Putting them on display here is (admittedly IMO, I'll be interested to see Bolian and evil_geniuss input!) incongruous with both the design and the era.
    I know most didn't. However, from a practical standpoint, you'd want easy access to them in case your main fire suppression system (that forcefield doohickey) goes out, which has happened quite a bit in Trek (a bit too many times!). It's an essential safety measure, and I give Rekkert kudos for making them more futuristic. I know it clashes with canon (but then again, so do many who complain about Discovery), but it works here.

Interesting discussion- I'd say it depends on the plot and timing of whatever this is being built for.

Personal preference: I don't agree with the extinguishers out in the open in their current state as a permanent fixture- they don't key with what is otherwise a very clean and futuristic looking bridge design.

You could justify extinguishers out in the open like that for a trials or shakedown type event- where there would likely be all sorts of extraneous junk lying around that would not be exposed "in an ideal world", due to a level of uncertainty and additional safeguarding against unproven/theoretical design choices in the field. If this is the intent, then I'd suggest making them look less integrated- let the viewer know by implication that these items are not a permanent fixture, but there as an additional level of safety in addition to the suggested "hidden" safeguards that exist behind panels etc', as could reasonably be expected aboard a prototype vessel in it's early testing configurations.

Another observation about the panel above the weapons locker, it never made much sense to me to have directed energy weapons stored out of sight, with no way to see if they were a) present in the locker (as opposed to away for maintenance), or b) charged and ready for use. There's a significant amount of buttons on that keypad, and I wondered if there was some logic in integrating some kind of "status display". For example, if there are four phasers in the locker, four "progress bar" style glyphs that indicate presence and charge level would give bridge crew immediate notice of their resources in the event of an emergency/ahead of an away team mission (can you imagine a bridge crew fumbling through lockers before beaming down looking for a charged phaser?)

Just my 2c, not my model or my commission, but I do love a good UI discussion.

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
    USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

There are some things that just don't seem feasible to have out in the open on a ship of this era. Fire extinguishers are one of those things. Sure, they need to be somewhere on the bridge, but to have them out in the open just doesn't make sense from both technical and cosmetic standpoints. There is likely quite a bit of equipment that is kept behind numerous panels that we never see open on screen and while adding extraneous do-dads to break up the minimalist aesthetic is tempting it should probably be avoided to the maximum extent possible.

That being said (aside from the extinguishers), this is shaping up nicely. I love the color scheme and the variation on the layout of the traditional Galaxy-class bridge. Great work, Rekkert.
    "No man fears to kneel before the God he trusts. Without faith, without belief in something, what are we?"

1:16, 2:4, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9, 10:13 - The Roman Road

MOLON LABE

SFM Guru
    OK I know the fire extinguishers have stirred up quite a bit of controversy.

It's the same thing as I said about the combination keypads for the weapons lockers (which again are locked WHEN the occasion calls for it - most of the time they are unlocked - and there most certainly will be when being out in the unknown).

You never know when your main fire suppression system is going to fail, and of course there have been many times something like that has happened. One prime example was the ill-fated Stargazer (whose bridge was an inferno when Picard did his famous thing in the Maxia Zeta system). And for all you know, there might be some area of space where a conflagration might erupt on the bridge and for some cosmic reason, the fire suppression systems won't work. Which means you need a backup. One you can EASILY access!

Yes, it may be an eyesore to some. But personally, I think it gives the Galaxy bridge a more lived-in kind of feel to it. Keep in mind in my TNG - The Galaxy Chronicles that it starts in 2360, three years after the Galaxy was commissioned (she had been spending most her first three years mostly confined to the Sol System before being let out on proper missions).

There are times when "form over function" doesn't work!

SFM Obsessed
    *sigh*

People really need to stop thinking as though TNG is set in the 20th century.

This is 400 years in the future. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the primary fire suppression system fails, there is a backup -- extinguishers would be an absolute last resort.

Plus, it becomes very hard to suspend disbelief when you're actively planting temporal anachronisms on an otherwise great looking set - no matter how well Rekkert "futurizes" them

SFM Guru
    *sigh*

People really need to stop thinking as though TNG is set in the 20th century.

This is 400 years in the future. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the primary fire suppression system fails, there is a backup -- extinguishers would be an absolute last resort.

Plus, it becomes very hard to suspend disbelief when you're actively planting temporal anachronisms on an otherwise great looking set - no matter how well Rekkert "futurizes" them
    I probably wouldn't have considered fire extinguishers had I not seen them on TWOK and TUC. And supposed if they're an absolute last resort? Would you want access to them to be a pain in the butt as your crew has to spend precious time trying to access them when your fire or fires are spreading out of control?

And who is to say the chemical in 24th century fire extinguishers is the same as it was in the 20th/21st century?

And thirdly, who is to say those fire extinguishers don't have a secondary function? I mean, the emitters on those may have both force-field emitter for putting them out the high-tech way, and a spray mode for doing it the old-fashioned tried and true way? If one doesn't work use the other!

(admittedly IMO, I'll be interested to see Bolian and evil_geniuss input!)

I was going to keep my mouth shut, since this is Rusty's baby, but yeah... I think the extinguishers completely ruin the look of the bridge. They make it look really tacky, IMO. IIRC, we DID see some extinguishers in use in a TNG movie (I forget which one), and they were really small. Maybe someone here can locate a screencap. But yeah, I think having them so large and visible totally ruins the flow of the bridge, looks out of place, and tacky. But again, this isn't my bridge, it's Rusty's, so whatever he's happy with should be what sticks.