Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The UNITI Project (Community WIP thread) - 2D & 3D

The UNITI Project (Community WIP thread) - 2D & 3D

Greetings.

By my calculation, 4 years since I touched 3DS Max. I had a bit of a dabble with Blender in the intervening years, but there are some fundamentals I just can't get my head around, so back to Max we go.

2 years after that, back in 2016, I submitted a post here http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...ht=#post606741 in which I reacted to the CBS clamp down on Star Trek Fan Films, but suggesting putting forward a new setting, for people to make fan films in.

I did not forget about that, instead I wrote a small bible. Then I made a website. Then I hid the website and started on You-tube because the website was too dry.

And now I'm gonna bring it here.

This is the UNITI Project, and you are invited to come play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Symbol.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	115395  
    Looking for (non commercial) Group: The UNITI Project - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7LAQ09u51M0APK

The idea behind the UNITI, regarding other people - was simple: Put a set of resources in place for fan-film makers, to come along, take the assets, use them to make fan-films and so on, and possibly improve them and then re-submit them back into the archive, along with additional assets. All I was doing was creating the world, and some stories in, then decide if any contributions would be accepted into 'canon'.

But getting people to provide assets for free (doing my best to resist monetising until I have no other option!) is very difficult, and from what I can tell, creative people want to see existing stuff before they want to add their own flare to it, so here I am, making bad art and models, just to spearhead the charge.

Check out the You-tube playlist in my signature. The videos so far are short and general, but offer some background into the universe. The first 70% of Episode 2 is probably the most informative at a high level, though my attempt at 'dry narration' was epic-scale-boring (For Episode 3 I decided to use a drunk-sounding professor voice!) - Try it here: https://youtu.be/gFDjexhxz8E

If you remember my old stuff (6+ years ago!) then fear not, all my previous work (except direct Star Trek models) has been brought into this setting, across 500 years of history. And there is much more to come!
    Looking for (non commercial) Group: The UNITI Project - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7LAQ09u51M0APK

I know you won't get interested without some models, so here's a demonstration in progress, on how this sort of thing might work.

I have a friend on Twitter, whom I gave some 'race' information to and he gave me 3 sketches for design donations. Here's them, comprising of an Alien (though nothing like the silhouette I sent him!!) a strike craft and a mothership.

Name:	20171219_134332.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	115396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171226_201100.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	115397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171228_193144.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	115398  

Now, I have started attempting to make the alien fit into the silhouette, but this is going to take some time, and I'll be likely looking for someone proficient in zbrush to sculpt all (40 or so!) races at some point. In the meantime, I take the ships, namely starting remembering how to use Max by working on the strike craft.

So I started with doing my own sketch, then set about building it.. and remembering that I used to like building boxes.. and curves kill me... unngh..

Name:	HSC 001.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	115406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSC 002.png 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	115407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (6).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	115402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSC 003.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	115408  
    Last edited by Dannage; 27th Aug 2018 at 23:18.

I am finding the top curvy bit particularly hard, but I eventually cut it out and think I've got an idea how I'm going to shape it, slightly differently from his original sketch. It also didn't occur to me during my own sketch, that the lines along his version's nose may have been a cockpit line. I liked the idea and have added one in. It is more segmented than I wanted but I was on tight timelines and I wanted to limit the poly count a bit for now!

Name:	HSC 007.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	115405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSC 006.png 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	115404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSC 005.png 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	115403  

SFM Nugget
    I'm really digging the idea behind this, but I'm not sure the name you've chosen would be appropriate, and only because of UnityŽ.

Also, if you want to get more people involved, I'm not sure the retro look is what you really want, not that your designs aren't interesting.

If you have any suggestions, I can sure come up with something at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by MalScribble View Post
    I'm really digging the idea behind this, but I'm not sure the name you've chosen would be appropriate, and only because of UnityŽ.

Also, if you want to get more people involved, I'm not sure the retro look is what you really want, not that your designs aren't interesting.

If you have any suggestions, I can sure come up with something at some point.
    Unity as in the game engine or is there another thing? To be honest, even UNITI has been used, there is nothing new left which hasn't been done somewhere. I thought Unified Nuclei Incorporating Technology and Intelligence would have been fairly unique but meh...

As for the designs, this is a design supplied by a contributor, which I'm turning into below-average 3D, hoping someone might come and replace one day, but these are just a single design ethic. I did a post in the SFM Discord with low poly versions of capital ships from 21 of the 'member' races but the official modern UNITI fleet design is going to be modelled around my old Alternate Star Trek design the Parallax, once half built by the mighty Medjai, and then Deks considered completing the mission but we all let real life happen. The 'Global Republic' stuff I did about 12 years ago is incorporated but is like '300 years before UNITI, this is what humans were flying around in'... I also have some rough idea scribbles for some of the neighbouring races too (alien silhouette and space ships) so I've got plenty more to bring to the table.

Name:	lowpolys.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	115409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallax_Dimensions.jpg 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	115410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DfBWTqUX4AI2hDU.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	115411  
    Last edited by Dannage; 29th Aug 2018 at 07:24.

Anyway, quick update on Danicon's Strike-craft. I have been slightly perturbed that Max refused to save the render background image on these files, so I just changed it to a black background but it still rendered on white... Well, all I've done is added headlights and started on a little docking station, since there's no way this design can just land!

Name:	HSC 009.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	115412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSC 008.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	115413  

SFM Nugget
    I love those designs!

Your model is coming along well, too.

I wasn't so worried that Unity (or UNITI) had been used, but since Unity is so popular right now, I would be afraid that your brand would be "polluted" or at least confusing for someone searching for it.

Not exactly the same thing, but when David Tennant encountered the Cult of Skaro and the hybrid human/Dalek, it completely destroyed everyone's searches looking for images or merchandise for "real" Daleks. Suddenly, when you searched Dalek figures, you were getting almost exclusively results for that hybrid.

I do love this idea and will try to contribute in the near future.

Heh, by the time I've got enough assets to encourage people in, whatever this current Unity craze is will be long forgotten. Is it a game? Am I being really out of touch with pop culture?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast